Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Self-imposed retail and fast food shopping ban for July

I have been having a high old time treating myself to things in the past couple of months.  First of all, I have developed a RIDICULOUS Old Navy habit.  They get me all the time with their e-mails regarding special deals and discounts.  I have, thus far, been unable to say no to them.  In fact, they recently increased the credit limit on my Old Navy card...as a thank you for sending their kids to college, I suppose.  I also have a special relationship with Target, also known as My Happy Place.  A bad day becomes better as soon as I walk through the doors.  I was there today, in fact, to pick up some shorts and sunglasses.  I also have the issue that some of my summer clothes from last year are way too big for me to wear this year.  My favorite denim crops and shorts from last summer look ridiculous now.  I also have some jeans that I was able to wear a few months ago that I can pull down without unbuttoning now.  This is, as you can imagine, VERY EXCITING.  But it is also a little concerning, as I need clothes to wear!  I have done some shopping this past week to replace some of these items, and it hasn't been cheap, even though I have stuck to places like Old Navy, Target, and Avenue (and their amazing sale prices!).  I also treated myself to a beautiful new Dooney and Bourke bag this month, as well as some new accessories.

In the month of July, I am going to make an effort to stop buying stuff that I don't "need."  This will include all clothing items, make-up, "fluff" toiletries (for example, a new scent of shower gel when I have several perfectly good scents in my shower already), shoes, bags, accessories, books (of the printed variety...I have a gift card saved on my B&N account that I can use to purchase e-books if I care to, until the gift card is used up, at which point e-books will be out as well), DVDs, and CDs.  I am also going to ban myself from buying fast food, which I have been doing on occasion on my way home from work.  It's such a cop out, and I wouldn't have to do it if I kept the house full of easy-to-prepare foods for those occasions.

I may post updates on this project as the month progresses...and expect a recap at the end of the month!  It's going to be an interesting experiment, but I know I can do it!

No comments: