Friday, December 07, 2007

Souper Douper

It's A Soup-Tacular!

I am a big fan of BooMama, so when I read about the Soup-Tacular she had planned for today, I wanted to take part! Therefore, I bring you Cabbage Patch Soup. I first had a soup that was similar to this at the home of my ex-boyfriend's dad and stepmom. It was yummy and wonderful and filling, and I set about creating my own version (because I was too shy to ask for the recipe, apparently). I have shared it with many friends, and everyone has loved it.

And here you go...
  • 1 - 2 pounds ground meat (I used meatloaf mix, but anything ground will do)
  • 1 head cabbage, chopped coarsely
  • 3 cans diced tomatoes
  • 6 cans broth (I use four can vegetable and two cans beef)
  • 2 to 3 cans beans (whatever kind you like - I used kidney and white beans)
  • carrots
Brown the beef in your stock pot. Once it is brown, add the tomatoes and the broth. Allow to come to a boil. Add beans, carrots, and cabbage. Turn down heat to allow soup to simmer. The cabbage absorbs a lot of liquid, so you might have to add water or more broth. Simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally.

This soup is one of those that is even better the next day.

And here's a photo of the final outcome, stolen from my cooking blog Chicken, Again?.



Don't get too excited about that link there. I don't cook all that often, and when I do, I forget to blog it!

Can't wait to see what other soups everyone is cooking up for the big Soup-Tacular!

1 comment:

Nan said...

Thanks for the recipe. Stop by for my chicken velvet soup.
Nan