Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Not Wonder Woman...

Yesterday, to my chagrin, I did something that I have not ever done in my entire 31 1/2 years of existence. I slept through my alarm.

Now, I was plenty exhausted. My weekend consisted of an eight-hour shift Saturday night (can't turn down overtime!), three hours of sleep Sunday morning, a five-hour basket bingo (where I won NOTHING), another hour nap, and a twelve-hour shift Sunday night. By Monday morning, I looked like something you might drag in on the bottom of your shoe.

However, I am quite insistent that I can Do It All, so I headed home Monday morning to sleep for a few hours before heading in to Bath and Body Works to begin my shift at 1:00 PM. I lay down at 8:00 AM and set my alarm for noon. And I even turned it on.

The dog woke me up at 9:00 AM.

The dog woke me up at 9:46 AM.

And then I woke up at 1:03 PM.

A glance around the room told me that it was not before noon. It was way too bright. A glance at my alarm clock showed that the alarm was no longer switched to "on." I assume that I barely woke up when the alarm went off, turned it off, and fell promptly back to sleep. I have never done this before. I did not like it.

Anyway, it turns out that I can't do everything. Sometimes I have to schedule longer blocks of sleep time. Luckily, my manager was very understanding and just let me make up the extra time on the tail end of my shift. And my lesson here was a profound one.

I am not Wonder Woman.

No comments: