Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The return of all the nature...

One thing that I do enjoy about living up here in the woods on a mountain is that we are often surrounded by nature.  Last year, we had a group of four deer that hung out in the woods behind our house and in our neighborhood, and when I was driving and saw them together, I knew to wait for all four of them to cross the street before heading on my merry way.

A few weeks ago, I went to let the dog out in the front yard, and there was one lone doe staring at me.  I tried to get a picture, but she didn't care to stick around for the photo shoot.  It had slipped my mind, until this morning, when I went to let the dog out and found that she had returned...and she had four spotted fawns with her.

Now, I don't know much about the gestational habits of deer, but I am wondering if all four of these fawns are her biological children.  And I can only guess that when I saw her a few weeks ago in my front yard, she was out gathering food and then heading back to wherever she had left her fawns to feed them.  Now, they are out on the prowl with her, learning about life here in our little neighborhood.  It was kind of fun to see.

Therefore, if you happen to drive up this way and see a lone deer, watch for four little ones to cross the street before you continue on your merry way.  I really don't want to see these young lives cut short...after all, they are almost like pets to me now!

1 comment:

NME said...

My mom lives in a wooded area and I love seeing deer. Hell - since we live in the urban jungle we get excited to see the bunnies that hop through my Dad's housing development.