Wednesday, April 13, 2005

The fumes are getting to me...

I had a great idea last week, while my mom was talking about going to Florida for the week. She had bought a new bedspread and picked out a paint color, and I thought it would be a great, great thing to surprise her by painting her room while she was gone. Now, mind you, I have never painted a bedroom. But I follow Trading Spaces like it is my new religion, and it doesn’t look all that hard.

I enlisted my dad’s help in going to get the supplies (since I didn’t have the money for them), so off we went to Lowe’s to buy paint rollers and brushes and a tray and a roll of blue tape and every other thing I could possible need. Oh, yeah, we also bought paint…a lovely sage color that I have to say is looking really good. Monday morning, I got down to business.

My first task was to paint the ceiling. OH. MY. GOD. They don’t show you that part on TV for what has become an obvious reason. There is nothing…NOTHING…fun about it. The muscles surrounding my collar bones are actually sore for the first time that I can ever recall due to the twisting and turning motions I had to go through to get that paint up there. I was astounded.

Yesterday, I started working on trim and window frames. The highlight was probably when my cat, Bucky, who is not the sharpest tool in the shed, saw that the window was open and attempted to leap out of it. I had briefly opened the window to paint the windowsill, and we don’t have our screens in yet because spring has just sprung here. And he climbed up on the windowsill and was happily going on his way, when I grabbed him by the scruff of his neck and dragged him to safety. From now on, I am painting with the windows closed, which is good for my pets but bad for my breathing.

I have finally moved on to the walls today and have one wall done, and it looks beautiful. I took a computer break, but now I will drag my weary bones back upstairs and continue working on this task. If you don’t hear from me in the next few days, send help because I may have been overcome.

No comments: