Thursday, January 10, 2008

Working the budget...

Before I begin, I have to tell you that about 500 Canada geese just flew over my house. It was one of the most bizarre things I have seen in a long time. I guess they are confused by the wacky weather we have been having!

Anyway, today I joined the library! One of my goals this year is to keep track of the number of books I read. So far, since January 1, I have read five. So I am averaging one every two days, which makes me think that I will find that I read well over 100 books per year. I often (very often) buy books, and other times I borrow them from my mom. Well, now I can borrow them from my library! I took out three books today, and I am looking forward to reading all of them...and to not having to pay $15 to $20 to buy them myself!

I just did my second food shopping trip of the pay period, and I kept to the $45 I had left in my $150 food budget. That involved prioritizing my purchases, writing down what I was spending as I picked things out (light bulbs and Infusium leave-in conditioner fell off the list when I hit my spending limit), and really looking at prices (I bought Scotch Brite scouring pads instead of Brillo pads because they were cheaper). I felt a real sense of accomplishment as I walked out of the grocery store, knowing that I had not been sucked in to overspending!

I have checked things out for the next week, and it looks like I am in good shape. I filled my gas tank today and still have $60 left in my gas budget. I have plenty of money for our night out on Friday night. And I don't really have any other expenses anticipated before my next paycheck is deposited in my bank account a week from today. If all goes well in the next week, this will be a credit card-free pay period...my first in a good, long while!

And now, if you will excuse me, I have some laundry to do. It's such an exotic life I lead!

No comments: