Saturday, April 28, 2007

You can't get much more random than 4:35 AM...

Sometimes, while I am at work, the night goes quickly, and I find myself feeling decidedly UNtortured by the fact that I chose a career that involves working while the rest of the world sleeps. Other times, like tonight, the hours between 3 AM and 5 AM drag on and on and on, as my fellow nurses and I sit around our unit, surrounded by sleeping babies (and a few that refuse to), talking about anything and everything as we fight Mr. Sandman and struggle to stay awake.

***

I spent the other night baby-sitting for the three month-old son of my best friend Amy, as Amy and her husband went out for their first night out since the baby's arrival. Except for the part where Jackson sucked his bottle down too quickly, refused to burp, and threw up all over himself and me, the night was a rousing success. We had a good time playing with every toy of his I could find, and we also did some blog stalking together. It turns out that you can read anything to a baby, as long as your tone is right. He was definitely fascinated by all my favorite bloggers' updates!

***

On Wednesday, my friend Dawn and I went for a two-hour walk on a walking trail near her house, and we brought along the dog. That's right...the over-exuberant ten month-old puppy with no manners who has forgotten how to walk on his leash. He actually did better than I expected him to, although he didn't get the memo that strangers don't like when he jumps on them. He gets neutered in a little less than a month. I am hoping that the sudden cutting out of the hormones in his system will calm him down at least a bit.

***

My birthday is on Sunday! My mom is gifting me with a gift certificate to my hair salon so that I can get my hair cut and professionally colored. The last hair cut I got was before the wedding. I colored my hair last week for my sister-in-law's wedding, but that was just to get the grey out (and that benefit is already gone because I used a semi-permanent formula). I can't wait to show Beth my wedding pictures and also get my hair in shape for summer. My next plan is get my hair permed as soon as it is long enough. My favorite hair on myself is long and curly. I am working on the long...and then will come the curly.

***

Anyway, duty calls (in the form of a screeching baby), so I had better get to it. Thanks for reading! I'll be here all week! Literally...all week. Hopefully, not all the nights will go this slow!

No comments: