Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Speak to me, Feet!

One of the hazards of working in the world of nursing is that you get used to wearing really comfortable shoes. For clinicals, I wear some lovely (and moderately expensive) Dansko clogs that are like dreams for my feet. For work, I wear some lovely (and much less expensive) Crocs, which are like walking on a squishy surface. My feet love these shoes...

In real life, I often wear either Uggs, black Danskos, or various other low-heeled shoes that my feet also love. However, back in the olden days, when I was wooing Bill and celebrating the joy of being in my mid-20s, I wore some fabulous shoes. I had several pairs of knee-high boots, plenty of ankle boots, strappy sandals, and anything else that you can think of that would make my now-fiance, who is a fan of every little accessory out there, pant a little when he looked my way. Once in a while, I still crack out a pair of heeled boots to impress him a little...but I am fortunate that my rather comfortable cowboy boots seem to be doing that job just fine for now.

Enter last night. I had an event at school that required "professional dress." And by that, they didn't mean professional nursing dress, which is little more than pajamas (LOVE MY SCRUBS!!!!). They meant the-clothes-I-use-to-wear-when-working-in-an-office-environment. And silly me...I thought it would be fun to bring some of my "real" shoes along for the ride.

Within one hour, I was hobbling. At the end of the evening, some six hours after I had put on a pair of kitten-heeled, pointy-toed boots that I used to wear ALL DAY, I was seriously contemplating taking them off and walking in my socks back to my car, which was across a gravely parking lot...and realize that it was cold last night.

So it might be time to retire those shoes for a while. After all, my feet are a necessary part of my support system, and I couldn't do what I do without them. Maybe after I lose twenty pounds, I can revisit my sexy shoes. Until then, just call me soccer mom...after all, that is what my feet will be saying to you.

5 comments:

hazel said...

oh my god, I know what you mean. I think for me it might also be a function of my feet getting bigger and me getting older. I don't know. all I know is that if it's more than a 2 inch heel, there's no way. 2 inches is doable but only if I am going to be seated for most of the day. and if I have to walk any distance, I need a bigger bag to carry "walking shoes". holy crap. I am my mother.

lonna said...

I rarely wear nice shoes, and I don't really have many of them anymore. Once in a while I will bust out some nice shoes, but I always bring my New Balance with me to be comfortable at the end of the day. I had plantar fasciitis and I'm just not up for going through all of that again. Take care of those feet!

Froggylady said...

Oh honey. It is time for an intervention...or at least some major shoe shopping! They make very comfortable cute, sexy shoes, you just have to be willing to find them. Stacked toed shoes with a square heel (or even ones that are almost a wedge, but narrower) are very comfortable and can look cute with most anything. Comfortable shoes need not scream SOCCER MOM! So, you come on down here and I'll take you shopping and we'll get you some cute ones. K?

Steph said...

Hey Mary, I just bought the cutest "work shoes" and when I wore them to work, my coworkers were like, YOUR WEARING STILETTOS!!!!!!! They are soooo not stilettos, yeah they have a narrow heal, but I found them in the "business" section at Nine West! *Sigh*

Jen said...

Alas, I too cannot wear cute shoes anymore. I have had two surgeries and seven episodes of sclerosing (alcohol was injected into the bottom of my foot to kill the nerve) on one foot, and the other still has bunions. I am stuck wearing New Balance men's 4E width sneakers and squishy soled flip flops like Reef. That is all I can muster anymore. God help me the next time I have to dress up fancy. I don't know what I'll do.